Directions to Remove a Shelf From Kitchen Cabinet
Kitchen cabinet shelves are very convenient fro storing kitchen accessories. Shelves are handy in a way that you can keep things which are not used regularly in the cabinets for future needs and keep your kitchen look clean. Without shelves your kitchen look like a mess with things all around on countertops, racks, tables etc. Shelves need regular maintenance. They sustain damage over time and need to be repaired or replaced. There are usually two types of shelves used; adjustable shelves and permanent shelves. Each has a different way of installation.
– Reciprocating saw
– Locking pliers
– Flush cutting pliers
– Flat pry bar
Steps to Remove Shelf from Kitchen Cabinet
For Adjustable Shelves
1. Clear the area around the shelf which you want to remove. If shelf contains any items or accessories remove them.
2. Hoist the shelf up and spin the shelf diagonally. Hoist one side higher than the other; this will help it to clear the cabinet opening. To release the cabinet shelf you need to press the clip holding the pins and shelf in place. Usually, you can simply press the plastic or metal flap at the top of the pin to release the shelf.
3. Take the shelf away from the position carefully. Don’t drag or bump the shelf along the cabinet opening. Dragging or bumping may cause damage to surface.
For Permanent Shelves
1. Permanent shelves are installed in a number of ways. You have to inspect the installation for your shelf. Some rest on the horizontal runner fixed to the bulkhead or side panel of the cabinet. Some are simply glued or nailed on the outside of the cabinet bulkhead.
2. Tap front bottom edge of the runner gently with a hammer to remove the shelves. You might need a pry bar to pry up the shelf gently from the runner. The shelves are usually glued or nailed to the runner so it might need some force to remove them from runner. Repeat the same process on all the remaining sides to let the shelf free from cabinet.
3. Take a flat pry bar and use it to remove the runner from the cabinet sides. Place the pry bar edge in the seam behind the runner. Tap it with hammer from above to widen the gap in seam. Pull the pry bar away from the cabinet panel. Keep prying until the runner is free enough to be removed.
4. Take a hammer and tap the shelf near the bulkhead gently to remove it from the cabinet. Keep tapping until you see that the seam between cabinet and shelf is beginning to wide. Once the seam is wide enough, pull the shelf away from the bulkhead of the cabinet.
5. In the end use locking jaw pliers to pull the nails out so that it will release the bulkhead. You can also cut them by using a pair of flush cutting pliers.
– You can cut the stubborn shelves in the middle with reciprocating saw to remove them easily.
DESIGN AND INSTALLATION SERVICES
Take the hassle out of kitchen or bathroom cabinet installations with the help of Admiral Cabinets & Countertops’ installation professionals. We take pride in delivering the best possible solutions for your bathrooms, entertainment areas, custom kitchens, wardrobes, closets, and other sections of your house.
We have a knowledgeable design team. Give us a call today, and we can put the right design together for you. Contact us now for a free consultation.